>>

Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

>>
View:
Sort:
default avatar

Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/17/2014 12:53:04 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/next-level-recruiting-eighth-grade-qb-dejuan-ellis-the-areas-top-ranked-middle-schooler-prepares-to-choose-his-high-school/2014/02/04/ab89f9f0-884f-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/17/2014 1:30:35 PM
@knightsoco

Recruiting 13 and 14 year olds is getting so ridculous.  It really is just like college.  While the college recruits are getting strippers, cars, and cash I wonder what kind of under the table gifts the middle school kids are getting...maybe PS4 games and a Brazzers username? 

default avatar

Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/17/2014 4:57:01 PM
@4Loveofthegame

Hopefully not what the College kids are getting. It is ridiculous. Suprised we haven't seen something like Lebron's the Decision with an 8th grade kid having 3 or 4 WCAC hats on a table and saying I have decided to take my talents to (fill in the Blank School). Does anybody go for the school which has the best Academics or Values or a family history.

You see it occasionally but it's sad to see it get out of hand the way it has.  Hopefully they make a choice for a number of reasons, not just football but there are a lot of kids traveling a long distance in the morning just to get to their school.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/19/2014 8:17:26 AM
@ps019364

Agreed.

What is ridiculous are the ages of these so-called "7th and 8th graders."  These kids are constantly reclassified, home-schooled, et al for one reason - athletics - and their ages range from anywhere between 14 to 16 year-olds as freshmen.

Remember, it is not how the book starts but how it ends.

Thanks...WI

default avatar

2/18/2014 6:04:07 AM
@knightsoco

It'll be nice to see this kid go to Oconnell and help that program. Can't wait to see if it flips the scales slightly. 

default avatar

2/18/2014 8:59:49 AM
@tomslick

Not sure this one kid can flip the scales ,,,, the big three (DM, GC, GZ) will still be the dominant teams in my opinioon.  SJC has a lot returning ,,,,, OC needs to put talent around him for them to make any kind of jump.  Otherwise they will be alot like McNamara ,,,, very talented QB but not much else ,,, or at least not enough of anything else to make a push.  Only time will tell. 

default avatar

2/18/2014 9:55:08 AM
@FootballFanatic11

One kid most certainly cannot flip the scales in a sport like football, but if you read the article it noted that several of his teammates are waiting to make their decision based upon his. If this can lead to a solid PG pipeline, I could see DJO being in the top four of the WCAC and certainly being significantly better than McNamara for years to come. Hold the two schools up against one another, and it becomes obvious that DJO has somewhat better academics, much better facilities, and is in a far better neighborhood. If they can convince kids from PG to make the commute, they could be in the top four of the WCAC for years to come. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/18/2014 12:51:03 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Ur comments are just asanine and unfounded. McNamara is one of the top schools in the nation academically and arguably the best in the WCAC. O'Connell is done they just lost their players that made them who they are all of which were stolen from schools after their freshman year. Who else is notable on that roster besides the Their linebacker, the running back and their star reciever who pretty much did everything for that team.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/18/2014 12:59:32 PM
@Mac_be_Ballin

OH. MY. GOD.

Do other kids at McNamara actually believe this? That the school is one of the best in the nation academically? Or even close to the best in WCAC?

default avatar

2/18/2014 3:14:02 PM
@Mac_be_Ballin

Mac, pump the breaks a bit. First, my comments are quite well founded as I taught in the WCAC for a number of years and know all of the schools quite well. McNamara is the third best school academically amongst the three WCAC schools that are in PG county. Seton and DeMatha are both better. That is just a fact based on college matriculation and graduation within 5 years, AP scores and SAT scores. It doesnt rank in the top 100 best schools in the nation and likely wouldnt rank in the top 500. No one, when listing the best private schools in the nation says, "Hmmm, Chapin, Hotchkiss, Trinity, oh yeah, and of course McNamara!" It is a fine school and it does right by its students (except for apparently you based upon your spelling, grammar and the content of your post), but it is not the top academic school in the WCAC and certainly not one of the top schools in the nation. And, DJO's facilities are far better. That too is a fact. Toyoka Jackson field (or whatever it is called) has a nice turf but it is used by all teams at that school and the stands are kind of dumpy. DJO just built a new athletic facility and their academic facilities are also better. Again, McNamara is a fine school. All I was saying is that if folks at DJO can convince folks from PG to come over to NOVA and see their campus, they might start up a nice little pipeline. 

Sidebar, it didnt shock you in the least that not once in the WaPo article did DeJaun Ellis even mention he was considering McNamara even though the school is practically in their backyard?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/19/2014 7:54:53 AM
@NewDC_Jon

No a kid like that wants to impact a team now. Why would he want to go to McNamara when the best quarterback in the state/area for the forseable future is already there. BTW Waldorf is hardly Forestvilles back yard in fact its about 10 min from the bridge into VA.

default avatar

2/19/2014 1:00:18 PM
@Mac_be_Ballin

McNamara academically top school in the country / best in WCAC?  Wow!!  JUST SAY NO NEXT TIME BRUH. 

default avatar

2/18/2014 6:09:45 PM
@FootballFanatic11

One kid can flip the scales by getting other kids to attend. Getting those kids to come and play with him takes the talent away from the traditional powers. Many thought he was a definite at DM. So now his WR buddy possibly goes with him to DJO, who also was thought to be a DM kid. The WR can also play! 

default avatar

2/19/2014 1:32:17 PM
@tomslick

From what I'm hearing the two WR's are not rolling with him.  Possible one or two RB's are rolling with him though.    Rumor mill has it the two WR's headed to DM (that is if you listen to rumor mills ,,, lol)

default avatar

2/19/2014 3:43:49 PM
@FootballFanatic11

I heard that too. This is good stuff and exciting regardless of what anybody says. I love the fact that these young men have been working hard at the sport they love all their young lives and now have an opportunity to be recruited and get to choose form some pretty decent schools. This is good preparation for the next level if they are good enough to make it. Love it!

default avatar

2/17/2014 2:17:09 PM

7th and 8th grade recruiting has gotten crazy but its the nature of the times especially in the private schools.  And I've even seen public schools trying to recruit as well.  These days kids have options therefore recruiting grows and grows.   Only time will tell to see how good or bad this ends up being. 

As for the Ellis kid being the best 8th grade QB in the country ,,,, not sure about that.  Kid is very talented, no doubt about that.  To label him best in the country is both premature and in some respects not fair to the kid.  Putting pressure on him to live up to the hype.  Doesn't allow him to just be a kid and enjoy his high school experience at O'Connell or whatever school he chooses. 

default avatar

2/17/2014 3:27:53 PM
@FootballFanatic11

The Demosthenese Trebuchet story has many parallels.

default avatar

2/17/2014 4:37:19 PM
@mds1

You cannot compare the story of DeJaun Ellis to that of Demosthenese Trebuchet. Trebuchet's story is far more similar to that of Tyroill "Smoochie" Wallace, T'Variusness King, and D'Isiah Billings-Clyde. Whereas Ellis has gotten top notch coaching his entire life and have private schools drooling over him, these young men, much like Trebuchet, have had to do it all on their own. But kudos to all of them. Best to them in HS. 

default avatar

2/17/2014 4:40:47 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Good point, DCJon.  I also want to apologize to the Trebuchet family for mispelling

Demo's first name.  Demosthenes is the correct spelling.

default avatar

2/18/2014 3:16:42 PM
@FootballFanatic11

Just curious...who ranked him the "Top 8th grade QB in country?"  Were all the 8th grade QBs in the country evaluated?  The kid is very talented, but let's not ordained him the best in the country just yet.  Why put all that preasure on the kid?  I remember 4 years ago when that Sills kid was in middle school, he was proclaimed to be a 7th/8th grade QB phenom.  I'm sure he felt a lot of preasure to live up to the hype, which he ultimately did not.  He is now a Junior in high school and is ranked 12th best QB in his class.  With that being said, let the Ellis kid develope and see how far he goes with it.  All this nonsense about a commitment date for an 8th grader is flat out ridiculous.

default avatar

2/18/2014 3:26:57 PM
@TheFlash

According to the article a website called Youth1.com ranked him the top 8th grade QB in the country. The one doing the ranking is Alan “Pops” Popadines who from as far as I can tell from his LinkedIn profile (slow day in the office, gotta do something to fill my time) never had any background as a scout or anything else that would make him qualified to do nation wide rankings of athletes. That being said, I did see some videos of the Ellis kid playing, he is impressive as heck. 

default avatar

2/18/2014 6:57:54 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Is he going to the QB factory or did Dematha tell him not to even though he is going to O'Connell?

default avatar

2/18/2014 11:36:04 PM
@108GCFan

This kid is going to DeMatha......period.

default avatar

2/19/2014 1:31:13 AM
@smdeagles

Then why does the family say they're sure he's going to DJO?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/20/2014 12:40:42 PM
@HoyaMetanoia

The kid is going to DeMatha.  What ever anyone else says, even if it is coming from the family, they are just trying to build the hype.

default avatar

2/19/2014 6:33:41 AM
@smdeagles

Yeah that's what I heard early on. 

default avatar

2/19/2014 1:34:25 PM
@smdeagles

Kid is NOT going to DM ,,,,, that is for certain.  

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/20/2014 12:30:29 AM
@FootballFanatic11

Okay.....we'll see

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/20/2014 12:45:11 PM
@smdeagles

I hear he is looking at Academy of the Holy Cross now too. They just started a football program and looking to make it competitive from the jump. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/21/2014 2:07:14 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Not going there either.....LOL.  The kid is going to DeMatha....the relationship there is years old.  Kid has been aiming at DM for years. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/21/2014 3:17:08 PM
@smdeagles

Is he gonna sit behind English for 3 years?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/22/2014 10:14:27 AM
@MrPresident

Nope.......he will play. Probably not as much freshman year but they will begin to work him in as a sophomore

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 8th grade QB in country-- WCAC recruit

2/22/2014 11:48:18 AM
@smdeagles

My sources tell me that the coaching staff has already scripted a number of plays for the game slated   to be played on October 24, 2015.  Of course, this is all contingent upon DCSportsFan poster dlcooper being able to ensure that the annual DM Swagger ceremony is moved to late September in 2015.

default avatar

2/19/2014 1:37:00 PM
@TheFlash

Only going off what I'm reading and hearing.  Not sure how credible those that are ranking these kids in 8th grade really are. 

default avatar

2/19/2014 9:01:29 PM
@FootballFanatic11

We are rivals but job we'll done this is a great opportunity for you and our city

default avatar

2/19/2014 9:01:53 PM
@lilcardo00

Wrong thread

You must login to report abuse. Close